Saturday, April 29, 2017

Why the Title?

So why did I choose the title "Two Lines Four Lines" for my blog?

Oh, probably for two or four reasons...

One is that the first few titles I tried were already taken by other bloggers. For some reason, I was impatient to come up with a title, and on the spur of the moment, chose the next one that came to my mind. Luckily, it was available.

Two is that my beloved Spiritual Master AC Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada (affectionately known as "Prabhupada" or "Srila Prabhupada") has asked me and all the rest of his thousands of disciples to write two or four lines daily about our realizations as we grow spiritually by following his sacred instructions. Srila Prabhupada has made the biggest impact on my life of anyone I have ever met. So I like that my title reminds me of him.

Three is that it's a good reminder to me to write, being short and succinct and easy to copy into other places so that when I see "Two Lines, Four Lines" I'll remember to open up my blog and jot something down.

and

Four is because I like short, intriguing titles that make me want to read further.

Srila Prabhupada taught by example that writing is important. He spent little time sleeping and much time writing during his nights and early mornings. Consequently, he wrote almost ninety books in his old age. I am already old also, but have not even written one. But I have thought about it many times.

Although I have not come up with a book yet, I've got some good book ideas, and when time and the circumstances of life line up just so, maybe a book will manifest. For now, short spurts are all I have time for, and short spurts can be the beginnings of great things.

A blog is a good place to start a book. It gives importance and substance to those short spurts, and helps channel thoughts into something focused and maybe even valuable. Those little thoughts can also expand into bigger ideas. As Srila Prabhupada said, "There is power in the written word." I feel empowered when I see my words written on a screen. A bit of the warrior inside me manifests when I write. A blog provides encouragement to a little writer like me, even if he/she can only come up with two or four lines at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment